M. Michael Zuckerman, J.D., M.B.A., A.C.I. – E.V.P.
Associate Professor in Risk and Insurance Management at Temple University’s Fox School of Business. His research and teaching focus include Enterprise Risk Management and the design, implementation, and operation of advanced alternative risk financing and transfer programs. He also serves as the Academic Director for the Fox School’s Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare Management Department (RIHM) Enterprise Risk Management initiative, which includes developing and ongoing management of its annual Enterprise Risk Management Conference.
Professor Zuckerman’s three decades of industry experience include executive positions at Aon, serving as Managing Director and Alternative Risk Financing Practice Leader for the Health Care Industry Group, Thomas Jefferson University, Willis, Marsh, and Temple University Health System. He consults on Risk Management and Insurance issues and is a frequent speaker and writer on Alternative Risk Financing and general Risk Management subject matter.
Honors and Awards
- 1990 Business Insurance Risk Management Honor Roll
- 1994 Willis Outstanding Producer Award
- 1997 Risk and Insurance Management Society’s Annual Conference—one of the ten sessions selected by the Risk Management Editorial Advisory Board for inclusion in the 1997 RIMS Annual Conference Proceedings, “Defining Moments in Risk Management.”
- 2007 Aon Excellence Roundtable
- 2009 RISK&INSURANCE Power Broker Finalist-Life Sciences
- 2010 RISK&INSURANCE Power Broker Finalist-Healthcare
- 2017 “Faculty of the Year” honors for teaching in the Temple University Fox School of Business Master of Science Actuarial Science program (RMI 5104 Managing Property and Liability Risk)
- 2019 Fellow in Captive Insurance awarded by the International Center for Captive Insurance Education
- 2020 Vermont Captive Insurance Company Captive Insurance Industry Service Award
- 2021 Captive Review Hall of Fame – Captive Review’s “Hall of Fame … was a way to celebrate the most influential individuals who have contributed to the industry [privately owned captive insurance subsidiaries] for decades and without who the industry would not be where it is today.”
- Understanding Claims-made Coverage: How It Differs from Occurrence Coverage, Chapter 13, pp. 167 – 184 in The Essentials of Hospital Risk Management
- Physicians Professional Liability, a chapter in The Critical Issues Shaping Medical Practice: A Physician Managing Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Claims: Do You Know How Your Coverage Works, URMIA Journal, September 1994, pp. 18 – 25
- Insurance Products to Minimize the Financial Risks of Managed Care chapter for Managing Risks of Managed Care
- Managing Technology Risk: Freedom from Fear, URMIA Journal, September 1996, pp. 18 -25
- Coauthored Managing Directors and Officers Liability Claims: Do You Know How Your Coverage Works with Kim Hogrefe, J.D. Executive Vice President, Chubb’s Worldwide Management Liability Claims, RIMS Annual Conference Proceedings: Defining Moments in Risk Management (1997)
- Invited Paper: Moving towards a holistic approach to risk management education—teaching business security management, Elsevier Security Journal 11 (December 1998), pp. 81 – 89
- Risk Mapping chapter for American Society of Healthcare Risk Management’s Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Organizations, 5th edition (2006), published by Jossey Bass
- Understanding Large Deductible Policies and Captives, Part One, Healthcare Risk Management, published by AHC Media now Relias Media, January 2015.
- Understanding Large Deductible Policies and Captives, Part Two, Healthcare Risk Management, published by AHC Media now Relias Media, February 2015
- Can a captive $ave us from ourselves? Captive Insurance Times, pp. 28 -29, Volume 117, March 2017
- The Value of a Risk Management Centric Captive Insurance Company, Healthcare Risk Management, Vol. 39, No. 5, May 2017
- The Case for a Captive Insurance Company Independent Board Director, Captive Insurance Times, Volume 128, August 2017, pp. 26 -27